Monday, July 11, 2011

Starting to get ready!

Since the middle of June we have begun to get the nursery ready.  The past few weeks I made some trips to my favorite thrift store near our house.  I scored some great finds at even greater prices!!!  (Have I ever mentioned that I am a major bargain shopper?)  Today I began sorting my finds along with my purchases from the seventy percent off sale at Bon Bebe.  Our wall Dr. Seuss prints should come in the mail soon.  Our crib and dresser/changer which I bought for such a deal off Craigslist is mostly put together.  We were missing a few screws and bolts so I will go pick them up at the Million Dollar Baby warehouse tomorrow.  We were given our first official big baby gift this weekend!  My aunts and some of my cousins went in to purchase for us an awesome BOB jogging stroller!  I am so excited to use it!  Our birthing and nursing classes are scheduled. We are just making adjustments to our baby registry lists on Target and BabiesRUs and the baby shower plans are in full swing!  I am so excited to celebrate this special baby girl and prepare for her arrival in 136 days!  I called our RE, Dr. K, today to tell him the good news about our anatomy scan.  He called me back personally on his cell phone after work to visit with me and congratulate us on our baby girl.  He is so wonderful and it was fun to give him good news.  My belly is starting to protrude a little more so I may get in my first belly shot soon.  We'll see.   I am SO enjoying my summer so far and all of the exciting baby preparations.  I am just drinking in the joyous anticipation of this time.  Several people have asked me if we have made our birth plan yet.  I know so many women are worried about giving birth and how it should go, etc.  I just am not concerned about it.  Not yet anyways.  I just tell people, "Getting and staying pregnant was the hard part.  Giving birth and taking home our baby girl after seven long years?  That is the reward!" (Remind me of this when I am in labor. . .)

13 comments:

Stacy said...

I thought delivery was the easy part, like you getting pregnant and staying pregnant is the hard part!

Funny story about the BOB stroller... when I was pregnant, my dad called me from the airport, to tell me about this stroller. He walked up to the man pushing it and was asking him about his BOB stroller, and make me get online to look at it! (brought back a good memory, thanks!)

Also, I love the stick on wall decals. I did those with my son, and recently since he is 2 1/2 have switched them out for something else, LOVE THEM!

Christina said...

It's so much fun getting a nursery put together. My mom is addicted to yard sales, so most of Genna's clothes come from her :).

That is really great that you can be at peace with not having a set birth plan. I can totally relate to being more worried about getting (and staying) pregnant.

I didn't have a birth plan, per se, I simply read up on what to expect - more from a scientific/medical perspective. I just wanted to know what my body was supposed to be doing and why. As far as planning out what kind of music needs to be playing, and who will rub tennis balls on my back, episiotomies, etc, all just seemed unnecessary to me. Luckily, since in the moment of a contraction the last thing I wanted to do was talk, I could just give James a look and he would just know what to do. And, he dealt with the nurses and doctor for me. He could always tell if it just was't a good time to be messing with me :).

I think the best thing you can do is to educate yourself on what your body needs to do (and I don't mean by taking those classes or reading those books that tell you there is only one right way of giving birth). Learn the structure of the uterine muscles and how they work, learn how the cervix dilates - understand the pain with a purpose - and that it is okay if you need pain relief. Also, have good support with you - someone that knows you better than anyone (or a good doula).

And, even if you don't take any of the classes, you could check into getting a tour of the L&D dept of the facility you will be going to. It's nice if the surroundings have some kind of familiarity for you, as it's easier to relax.

Ashley said...

Glad you're enjoying your summer! Isn't it fun to go through all the cute little girl clothes? Don't forget to stock up on some bows! =)
Can't wait to see belly pics!

Irra Core said...

Hi Elizabeth,
First of all, congratulations! baby girls are adorable (I have a 20 month old - the light of my life!). I am just starting the embryo adoption process with Dr. Buyalos and was hoping to get some information from you - if you don't mind sending me an email (if that works better for you?). My email is irra_s@yahoo.com. Thanks and best wishes!

Diane said...

I agree about the birth plan thing. While I definitely have my preferences for how a birth would go, in the end it doesn't seem that important compared to the struggle to get and stay pregnant. What a different perspective infertility and loss brings!

Irra Core said...

Birth plans brings memories - I had pictured this perfect scenario where my water will break and a few hours later, via natural, unmedicated labor my daughter will be born...reality was, water did not break but merely trickled, had to to take pitocin to start labor and 7 painful hours later, no progress and on to a c-section! So, no birth plan is a good thing - just go with the flow and trust your gut feeling and more importantly, enjoy this wild, wonderful ride!

Koren Leggett said...

Enjoy!!!! :-) Seeing you on the floor with all your gear spread out reminds me totally of setting up Brittney's room and stuff in my summer break too. Could there be a happier way to spend it?
Love and hugs!!!
Leggetts

Melody Lietzau said...

I Loved this post it made my heart so happy. I Love seeing the Lord"s answered prayers. Thanks for allowing us to share in this journey. I love your attitude and can not wait to see this little girl in her mommas arms.

Pat Orr said...

Broke 130! Yea!

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your preparations and feeling your excitement! We are so excited for you! --Melinda W.

Ginny said...

So excited to see your daughter's nursery coming along! Just like a teacher, you are getting ready early! ;) I have such mixed feelings about birth plans, too! Being a teacher myself, I had written a VERY detailed 2-page (in barely-readable 10 pt font:)) birth plan. Like someone else sid, it involved my going into labor and knowing it and coming into the birthing center and having a perfect, unmedicated delivery. Well, both times I didn't know I was in labor! Yes, I couldn't feel contractions and my first ob (who was horrible) made me feel bad I didn't come in sooner. Well, I ended up with an emergency c-section for a mis-diagnosis. I was so upset for so long when it dawned on me...I had a healthy baby and I, too was healthy! So, when I didn't realize I was in labor the second time around (my new, awesome ob knew my first birth story) he laughed and said...you're in labor dear, head to the birthing center! Guess what...he didn't 'fit' and I had another emergency c-section. I couldn't care less this time around as we were both healthy, and that's what matters! It doesn't matter how they come into the world and if you have a plan or not as life doesn't always go according to our plans. The Lord is in control :)

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea to call your RE Dr. K, who was also mine dr. I believe. He must have been thrilled. I can't wait to find out our gender and too and I think that was a good idea I might consider also.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Our journey through weight loss, infertility, embryo adoption, parenthood, world travels and everyday life adventures!

Our Most Popular Posts

La Dolce Vida (Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey 2010)

Elizabeth's Weightloss Journey

Body Fat Loss Goal

Start: 38.7% Body Fat at 207.0 lbs = 80.1 lbs of fat
Goal: 33.0% Body Fat by September 1, 2013
----------------------
Wk1: 38.5% at 204.0 = 78.54 lbs of fat (-1.56 lb)
Wk2: 37.8% at 205.5 = 77.68 lbs of fat (-.86 lb)
Wk3: 36.9% at 203.5 = 75.09 lbs of fat (-2.59 lb)
Wk4: 37.3% at 204.0= 76.09 lbs of fat (+1.00 lb)
Wk5: 37.4% at 201.5 =75.36 lbs of fat (-.73 lb)
Wk 6: 37.1% at 199.5 =74.01 lbs of fat (-1.35 lb)
Vacation
Wk 7: 36.2% at 198.0 = 71.6 lbs of fat
Wk 8: 36.7 at 196.0 = 71.9 lbs of fat
Wk 10: 35.9 at 198 = 71.0 lbs of fat
Took a break for FET#4....
Wk 11: 36.2% at 194.5 = 70.4lbs of fat
Wk 12 (September 1st):

Our Adoption Journey

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

background