Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adventures in Cloth Diapering!

My lovely diaper model!
Early on I knew I wanted to try cloth diapering.  Having moved to one income and knowing that we would most likely (if we are so blessed) have multiple children in diapers at once it makes financial sense to give it a go.  So now that Lena is at nine pounds my goal this week is to get started with cloth diapering. 
When I first started researching it the choices and options were confounding!  After much research on many sites like Babble's Best of Cloth Diapers 2011 list and after talking to lots of people who have found success with cloth diapering I decided on  Charlie Banana's cloth diaper line supplemented by the Bummis cloth diaper prefold line.  I think the Charlie Banana's will be my favorite diaper (they are the best looking and most trim of the two) but I also like the convience and cost effectiveness of the Bummis prefolds.   I began building my stash last summer when I scored several boxes of small and medium sized Charlie Bananas on Zulily.  This week Target has their Charlie Banana line on sale and I ordered a few more one sized diapers to supplement my stash.  Last week I had a great prefold diaper lesson from my friend Faith and afterwords scored a small set of Bummis prefolds off of Craigslist.  On Sunday I ordered some cloth diapering detergent from Rock in Green and I will begin prewashing the diapers for use as soon as it arrives.  Tomorrow I am going to drop by Babies R Us to pick up my new cloth diapering pail by Safety First and use my Blueberry diaper pail liner that I scored off of Babysteals for half price.   Today we had a diaper modeling session with Lena.  I think she likes her new cute and super soft dipes!  In all I would say I have invested $600 in cloth diapers and accessories. (I went a little overboard...)  We spend about $50-70 a month in disposables right now so I hope the cloth will pay for itself in a year.  Wish me luck everyone!
Aren't they pretty?
Most of my stash so far!
Our small Charlie Bananas all ready to be used.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Pat Orr said...

I love it that you are excited about diapers :)

kdactyl said...

Yay for you. We have been cloth diapering since our oldest was one and pretty much from birth with our 2nd. I LOVE it and although I am not anti-sposie....I just can't see myself putting one on my baby anymore...they are so boring...tee hee.

Love your stash. I have heard great things about Charlie Banana.... We mostly use Kawaii OS, FLIPS and Grovia. But when our daughter was a newborn...the prefolds and covers were the way to go for sure. So easy and an inexpensive way to CD a smaller baby before the One Sized diapers really fit.

I have the same diaper pail as you too :). However...I have found that closing up CDs makes them stink a bit...so now I don't close the pail....you gotta let them breathe and they won't smell. And...if at all possible...have a top loader to wash them. I could wash in my front loader...but the number of steps and the wash time was really long. Hubby got me a cheap top loader (luckily our wash room could accomodate) and we just added it in and now I have that pretty much just for my dipes.....it has made all the difference.

Good luck. Lena is so cute and looks like she is getting her baby chub on!

kd

Ginny said...

Lena is so precious! I LOVE your diaper stash, too! ;)

Our journey through weight loss, infertility, embryo adoption, parenthood, world travels and everyday life adventures!

Our Most Popular Posts

La Dolce Vida (Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey 2010)

Elizabeth's Weightloss Journey

Body Fat Loss Goal

Start: 38.7% Body Fat at 207.0 lbs = 80.1 lbs of fat
Goal: 33.0% Body Fat by September 1, 2013
----------------------
Wk1: 38.5% at 204.0 = 78.54 lbs of fat (-1.56 lb)
Wk2: 37.8% at 205.5 = 77.68 lbs of fat (-.86 lb)
Wk3: 36.9% at 203.5 = 75.09 lbs of fat (-2.59 lb)
Wk4: 37.3% at 204.0= 76.09 lbs of fat (+1.00 lb)
Wk5: 37.4% at 201.5 =75.36 lbs of fat (-.73 lb)
Wk 6: 37.1% at 199.5 =74.01 lbs of fat (-1.35 lb)
Vacation
Wk 7: 36.2% at 198.0 = 71.6 lbs of fat
Wk 8: 36.7 at 196.0 = 71.9 lbs of fat
Wk 10: 35.9 at 198 = 71.0 lbs of fat
Took a break for FET#4....
Wk 11: 36.2% at 194.5 = 70.4lbs of fat
Wk 12 (September 1st):

Our Adoption Journey

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

background