Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Learning About Body Fat

This is the gadget that I use at boot camp to measure my body fat percentage.
So this morning was my second body fat measuring day.  It has been one week since I started keeping track of my body fat percentage and so today I can begin to measure the change in my body.  I got a little lesson in tracking your body fat loss from the owner of the boot camp where I go and here are my results from my first week:

Week 1 Body Fat Percentage: 38.7 = 80.1 lbs of body fat
Week 2 Body Fat Percentage: 38.5 = 78.54 lbs of body fat

At first I was kind of upset.  I was glad there was a change but I thought the -.2 that I lost was fairly insignificant.  I learned that a good body fat loss per week is anywhere from .5 to .25 so I wasn't that far off from my goal.  I lost three pounds this week on the scale so here is how I calculated how many pounds of body fat I lost this week:

(week 1 weight x week 1 body fat percentage) - (week 2 weight x week 2 body fat percentage) = total pounds of body fat lost

I lost about 1.5 pounds of body fat this week.

Here is a chart that we looked at to determine my ideal body fat percentage:
Females Age Range (years)Too LittleHealthy RangeOverweightObese
20-30Below 21%21 - 33%33 - 39%over 39%
31-40Below 21%21 - 33%33 - 39%over 39%
41-50Below 23%23 - 35%35 - 40%over 40%
51-60Below 23%23 - 35%35 - 40%over 40%
61-70Below 24%24 - 36%36 - 42%over 42%
71-80Below 24%24 - 36%36 - 42%over
I think my first goal will be to get down to 33% body fat which would put me in the "healthy range" for my age.  I would like to accomplish this by September 1st which gives me roughly 19 more weeks to reach my goal.  Now I have to think about the changes that I am going to make to help me pack on lean muscle.  I think I will start with these changes:

  1. Go to boot camp five times per week instead of 3 to 4 times.
  2. Drink a low calorie, low fat, protein shake after each boot camp.
Honestly, I am not sure what more I can do beyond that.  I think this is a goal that just takes consistency and time.  Maybe I will do some research today and see what else I can do to build muscle.  Tips anyone?

No comments:

Our journey through weight loss, infertility, embryo adoption, parenthood, world travels and everyday life adventures!

Our Most Popular Posts

La Dolce Vida (Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey 2010)

Elizabeth's Weightloss Journey

Body Fat Loss Goal

Start: 38.7% Body Fat at 207.0 lbs = 80.1 lbs of fat
Goal: 33.0% Body Fat by September 1, 2013
----------------------
Wk1: 38.5% at 204.0 = 78.54 lbs of fat (-1.56 lb)
Wk2: 37.8% at 205.5 = 77.68 lbs of fat (-.86 lb)
Wk3: 36.9% at 203.5 = 75.09 lbs of fat (-2.59 lb)
Wk4: 37.3% at 204.0= 76.09 lbs of fat (+1.00 lb)
Wk5: 37.4% at 201.5 =75.36 lbs of fat (-.73 lb)
Wk 6: 37.1% at 199.5 =74.01 lbs of fat (-1.35 lb)
Vacation
Wk 7: 36.2% at 198.0 = 71.6 lbs of fat
Wk 8: 36.7 at 196.0 = 71.9 lbs of fat
Wk 10: 35.9 at 198 = 71.0 lbs of fat
Took a break for FET#4....
Wk 11: 36.2% at 194.5 = 70.4lbs of fat
Wk 12 (September 1st):

Our Adoption Journey

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

background