We were a few weeks into my Delestrogen shots for FET #4 and I was experiencing lots of bleeding and pain from the tiny 22 gage needles. When I was speaking with Trish the nurse at my my weekly ultrasound and bloodwork appointment I mentioned this to her. She immediately told me to "shut the door and drop my drawers". She could tell right away from the knots in my rear that Dan had been giving me my shots directly in my sciatic nerve which is why they have been so bloody and painful! She drew two large bullseyes in red sharpie on my rear/hips and guess what....that night and every since then my shots haven't hurt and there has been little blood! Yea! I can't believe we got all the way to our fourth FET before we fixed this issue. Dan rightfully blames the diagram they gave us for giving shots as it did not accurately show us where to give the shot. (Ha! Maybe my backside is bigger than most!) Anyways...I just want to tell all the other ladies out there who have to do fertility shots to ask your nurse to "bullseye" you! It was super helpful and I love that my shots don't hurt anymore!
Dan has always been the shot giver in all of our FETs. I told him it was his duty and while he doesn't like doing it, he always does it dutifully and mostly with a good attitude (except when we almost forget and have to get out of bed to do the shots). This week since I am staying at my parents' house while Dan goes back to our city/home to work I am left with no choice but to give myself my shots. Yikes! So last night before Dan left I practiced under his guidance and I did it! I drew the progesterone and stuck myself with the needle. I almost blacked out doing it. I started getting really light headed as I pushed the meds into my rear and then I got so nauseous and hot. I had to have him hold me up while I finished and then sit down immediately. It was pretty comical and over-dramatic - there is a reason why I never considered becoming a nurse! I am a little nervous but tonight I am giving myself my shot again and this time without Dan around. Here's to hoping I don't get so squeamish this time!
Birthday Fun
4 years ago

7 comments:
You can do it!!! :)
I had a nurse draw circles for me once,too! It hurts so much less when you get it right!
Too bad your mother is such a wimp :)
Too bad your mother is such a wimp :)
Yike! Shooting at the sciatic nerve sounds terribly painful! I will be doing PIO shots for the first time for our transfer in September. I'm really nervous about that. I'm planning on having the hubby do the shots, and praying he will not have to miss any!
Yuck! I can't imagine giving myself the PIO shot. Good luck!!
I know what you're going through! I hate shots, and acted most dramatic when I had to administer my PIO shot solo! I'll never forget how proud I was afterward! Those needles are intimidating.
Post a Comment