Friday, November 16, 2012

Battling Fear and Sorrow

The dreaded single pink line...times three...
I was going to approach this blogpost with a little lighter tone...a little humor.. like "One (pink line) Is The Loneliest Number" you know like the song.. but the fact is my heart is heavy today.  Yesterday was busy and I was able to push aside the news that all four of our embryos didn't make it and our transfer had failed.  I feel the darkness of fear washing over me.  What if we lose all of our remaining embryos and Lena doesn't get a sibling?  How will we pay for another transfer with one income, mounting debt, and a recent pay cut to my husband's paycheck?  How much longer can we endure the emotional roller coaster of infertility, doctor visits, daily injections, and seemingly endless waiting?

I knew early this week when all my home pregnancy tests were negative that my blood test yesterday would not bring us the news we wanted to hear.  I just got off the phone with Dr. K for my post-cycle consult which lasted all of two minutes.  Basically we can try again in January but he warned that the remaining embryos are of lesser quality than the ones we thawed for this last transfer.  The image of my big house full of kids is fading quickly...It will be weird for me to have a small family...as the oldest of five kids I am used to a bustling household.

I feel broken-hearted right now.

I look at Lena and wonder what her siblings would have been like.  Would they have sparkly blue eyes like her?  Would they be as outgoing as she is?  Who will share her life with her, keep her company, look out for her and love her unconditionally after Dan and I are gone?  My siblings and the time we have spent together in this life is so valuable to me...its priceless.  Each one of my brothers and my sister are irreplaceable.  They are all so unique and special and I can't imagine if one of them were never born and never part of our family.  When we lose our embryos Dan and I don't just lose babies, Lena loses her brothers and sisters and it breaks my heart.  It also makes me long for an open adoption.  I wish so badly that Lena could know her full blooded brother and sister who live with the family that gave us her group of embryos.  I found out a few weeks ago while I was at Dr. K's office that her genetic family doesn't even know that Lena exists.  I think that is sad.
I was cleaning all the old church bulletins out of my Bible this morning and one phrase that I must have scribbled onto one of them during a sermon caught my eye.  It simply read, "We must preach to our hearts".  And so it seems that is my task a lot this week.  We studied 1 Samuel 16-17 in women's Bible study this morning.  It is the passage where the young 15 year old shepherd David (who has learned to trust God to protect him and fearlessly fight when the lions and bears would attack his flock of sheep) is now faced with Goliath and the aggressive Philistines who are insulting and threatening the Isrealites.  David's response to this threat is confidence rather than fear.  To the world he was an unlikely hero as he helped save Isreal from the Philistine army.  To God he was a boy who faithfully and obediently did exactly what he had trained to do.  Wise beyond his years David trusted that God provides, God protects, and God is powerful and he lived his daily life confidently with that knowledge.  I hate that my natural reaction to difficulty is fear rather than confidence in a mighty God.

It is hard not to let my heart go to that dark place.  I have to remind myself that I have seen the provision of God.  I've seen it countless times in my own life.  One of my intense reactions after I realized our transfer didn't work was to just drop my "to do list" and spend tons of time with Lena.  I've never felt it more than this week just what a miracle my precious girl is.  I took her to the park for playtime, we went to Knott's Berry Farm and rode the merry go round and saw the horses, we read books together and snuggled in the special rocking chair, we danced to music and ate fun snacks...I am just so thankful that God has given us Lena.  She is a good visual reminder that the pain and frustration we sometimes endure is worth it.
Snack time at Knott's while we watch the Stagecoach drive by.

Lena LOVED riding the horsey on the merry go round like a big girl!

13 comments:

Aaron and Jennifer said...

I've been checking your blog quite frequently over the last few days hoping for an update. But, this isn't the update I was wanting to read. I'm so sorry, Elizabeth. I will be praying for you and Dan. ((Hugs))

Aaron and Jennifer said...

Oh and also, don't let your doctor cause you needless worry by calling your remaining embryos "lesser quality." Grading doesn't matter to God - He is bigger than that! I had a PERFECT FULLY HATCHED 6AA blastocyst for my first FET and yet, he/she didn't even implant. Abel and Belle's embryos had a lower grading and hadn't even begun to hatch when we had our transfer and yet, they are in my arms today!

Diane said...

I wondered when you didn't update us sooner if this was the result, but I prayed not.

I am so sorry for the loss of not only these four precious little ons, but also the loss of that dream of a houseful of children. I will continue to think of you and pray for you as you grieve these losses in the days to come.

Also, I agree with Jennifer. While embryo rating means something, it surely does not mean everything, especially with the mighty God we serve.

Em said...

I am so sorry to hear this! My first thought was also that those "lesser quality" embryos may still be your future children... God has the final say to life, as you well know. At least you can tell Lena all of her siblings were loved and given a chance. I pray that God's peace will surround you during this difficult time...

Pat Orr said...

As I was trying to think of things to say to comfort you I read the comments by those who have traveled your road. How blessed to have friends who understand and can encourage you in a way some of us can't. Praying for you.

Krisa said...

My heart goes out to you and Dan as you process your loss. You are looking toward the Lord; and I know this. ...When you seek Him, you will find Him. I'm so glad you had such a precious day with your beautiful, miracle Lena.

Ashley said...

Oh Elizabeth, I'm so sorry. You know I've walked this road, too. It's so difficult to trust God's bigger plan in the midst of this sorrow. I don't know what God's plan is for your family but I do know that it's bigger than what you dream for yourself. Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

May you feel the love your friends and family are wrapping you in. May you hold tightly to one another. You are stronger than this loss and the stress of this season, you are brighter than the darkness that shows itself to you. You are a beacon of light for others finding their way in love in times of pain. Your light will come again. In your family, and with your friends, Lena will never be alone. And neither will you be. Your strength and honesty inspire, and your open heart is a beautiful thing. Love to you Dan and Lena.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family.I pray that God makes a way for you to add to your family.

Lacie said...

"I am just so thankful that God has given us Lena. She is a good visual reminder that the pain and frustration we sometimes endure is worth it."

Hold on to sweet Lena and be confident that you have been blessed beyond measure. I am so sorry that you are back in the throes of sorrow and disappointment.

Jen said...

I am so, so sorry!!! I hope the following helps...I remember thinking my world was ending when I realized we would not be blessed with parenting Sarah and Anna's siblings...then almost exactly 1 year later...God let us know that He had different plans for our family...http://ourmiracleblessing.blogspot.com/ Never give up hope and prayers!!! God will find a window when it appears a door has closed!!!

Hugs!!!

Britney said...

beautiful post. i can relate to it on so many levels. i respect you for being so open and candid.

Tracey said...

I am so sorry that your FET didn't turn into a BFP. I definitely know how you feel. Our last FET was our only chance for a genetic sibling, so our hearts were totally broken. I will send you an email to get on your list for future posts!

Our journey through weight loss, infertility, embryo adoption, parenthood, world travels and everyday life adventures!

Our Most Popular Posts

La Dolce Vida (Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey 2010)

Elizabeth's Weightloss Journey

Body Fat Loss Goal

Start: 38.7% Body Fat at 207.0 lbs = 80.1 lbs of fat
Goal: 33.0% Body Fat by September 1, 2013
----------------------
Wk1: 38.5% at 204.0 = 78.54 lbs of fat (-1.56 lb)
Wk2: 37.8% at 205.5 = 77.68 lbs of fat (-.86 lb)
Wk3: 36.9% at 203.5 = 75.09 lbs of fat (-2.59 lb)
Wk4: 37.3% at 204.0= 76.09 lbs of fat (+1.00 lb)
Wk5: 37.4% at 201.5 =75.36 lbs of fat (-.73 lb)
Wk 6: 37.1% at 199.5 =74.01 lbs of fat (-1.35 lb)
Vacation
Wk 7: 36.2% at 198.0 = 71.6 lbs of fat
Wk 8: 36.7 at 196.0 = 71.9 lbs of fat
Wk 10: 35.9 at 198 = 71.0 lbs of fat
Took a break for FET#4....
Wk 11: 36.2% at 194.5 = 70.4lbs of fat
Wk 12 (September 1st):

Our Adoption Journey

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

background