Monday, January 20, 2014

RE Office Behavior Expectations...and Reality

"To ensure the safety of your child and optimize your visit, please refrain from bringing children to your appointment, if possible." Thank You
This is the sign that hangs right next to the reception desk in Dr. K's office.  During my last several visits there have been families with children in the waiting room: once a woman with an infant and toddler, a different time a couple with a toddler and a baby, another time an Italian/English speaking family with two boys in the 3-4 years old range, and today a couple with a young toddler (maybe 18 months old).   Most of the time these families have not only brought children into a place that should be child free but they turn the waiting room into their own personal romper room: they are loud, overly permissive with their children letting them climb all over everything and once even play a game of tag around the office, and seem to be oblivious to the fact that the majority of men and women who are sitting in the waiting room are there because they are going through a very intense, emotional, and perhaps painful experience in trying to have a child.

Many times it would have been MUCH easier for me to bring Lena with me to my appointments.  I usually have to drive an extra 90 minutes to take her to stay with family while I am at my appointment.  But I want to respect the fact that when someone is waiting anxiously to find out if they will finally be a mom or if their hopes will be crushed they don't want to be bombarded with images of what they cannot yet have.  The RE office should be a safe zone - and as stress free as possible.  I totally get that some people might not have the luxury of having family near by to watch older siblings while they attend appointments.  Even the sign in the RE office acknowledges this when they use the words "if possible".  But these families are intrusive and insensitive with their behavior.  Dad and the kids could wait in the large hall outside until the family is called back for their appointment.  Parents could have quieter activities or snacks prepared to keep their kids more subdued in the waiting room.  It is just hard for me to excuse the selfish behavior of these families.
Maybe I am over reacting.  I don't think so.  Infertility is a difficult and emotionally trying experience.  Anyone who adds to the emotional burden of an infertile person is a sadist or incredibly self-focused.

4 comments:

Just T said...

Great post. I try to be open minded when woman bring their children to the RE office, but sometimes you would perfer it was a child free area. I've seen many woman including myself come out the back with bad news and very upset. It doesn't help to walk around kids/babies in hallways and waiting area.

carrie said...

I totally agree. I always tried if humanly possible to keep my kids away from the RE's office & you are right, there are definitely ways to be considerate if you have to bring them.

happymomof4 said...

Totally agree. Our RE's office did not allow children, and honestly I think it's a good policy. Believe me it's not easy to arrange child care but I did it, and so can others! It's just not a place for kiddos to be and you should be considerate of others feelings.

Amy said...

I've been meaning to comment on this and I keep forgetting. I totally agree with you! We have only brought Titus once, and that was because we wanted him to meet Dr. K, after that Ryan took him outside. I will say though that I think they could do a better job of discouraging people from bringing children. When I asked about bringing him they just recommended bringing him to an afternoon or weekend appointment so that the waiting room wouldn't be too full. They didn't make any mention of others feelings or even keeping him out in the hall until it was our turn to go back. Now, I would hope that people would just be considerate and not bring their kids just because, but I think in todays world a lot of times you just can't assume that people would know that kind of etiquette. :( But arrangements can be made for kids, we usually have to rent a car so that we can leave our car with my SIL (who has two kids and can't fit all the car seats in her car) while she watches Titus for us. It is an extra expense and hassle, but one we make out of consideration for others.

Our journey through weight loss, infertility, embryo adoption, parenthood, world travels and everyday life adventures!

Our Most Popular Posts

La Dolce Vida (Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey 2010)

Elizabeth's Weightloss Journey

Body Fat Loss Goal

Start: 38.7% Body Fat at 207.0 lbs = 80.1 lbs of fat
Goal: 33.0% Body Fat by September 1, 2013
----------------------
Wk1: 38.5% at 204.0 = 78.54 lbs of fat (-1.56 lb)
Wk2: 37.8% at 205.5 = 77.68 lbs of fat (-.86 lb)
Wk3: 36.9% at 203.5 = 75.09 lbs of fat (-2.59 lb)
Wk4: 37.3% at 204.0= 76.09 lbs of fat (+1.00 lb)
Wk5: 37.4% at 201.5 =75.36 lbs of fat (-.73 lb)
Wk 6: 37.1% at 199.5 =74.01 lbs of fat (-1.35 lb)
Vacation
Wk 7: 36.2% at 198.0 = 71.6 lbs of fat
Wk 8: 36.7 at 196.0 = 71.9 lbs of fat
Wk 10: 35.9 at 198 = 71.0 lbs of fat
Took a break for FET#4....
Wk 11: 36.2% at 194.5 = 70.4lbs of fat
Wk 12 (September 1st):

Our Adoption Journey

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

background