Monday, December 16, 2013

Lena Makes Cookies

Rolling out the dough was her favorite part...can you tell?
 Last night Lena and I had a great time making Christmas cookies for the first time.  First we got on our aprons.  Lena wore her Blue's Clues apron that Grandma Joanne had made her before she was born.  (I really wish she was alive to see her making cookies in this cute little apron.  She would have LOVED it.)  Lena helped me place all the ingredients into the mixer and had fun watching them beat all together.  After a short break to let the dough chill we got out all my cookie cutters and got ready to roll out the dough.  Lena loved using the rolling pin.
It took her a little bit to get the hang of it but she did great cutting out the shapes.
 Then I had to teach her how to dip the cookie cutters in flour and cut out a cookie and place it on the baking sheet.  It was interesting to see which cutters she wanted to use.  Her favorites were the star, the Christmas tree, the butterfly, and the heart.  Once she got a taste of the cookie dough I had to keep her from sneaking the cut out dough off the cookie sheet for a taste.  It was maddening and yet fun and funny at the same time.
Adding some sprinkles!
Almost done!
 Once our cookies were cut out Lena walked with me over to the hot oven and I turned on the oven light so she could watch her cookies bake.  We whisked together a simple glaze (1 cup powder sugar, 2 tbsp milk, 1/2 tsp flavoring like vanilla, lemon, or almond) and then I brushed it on the baked cookies while she put on some sprinkles which was another one of her favorite parts.
We made a plate of cookies for Daddy.
Time to taste!
Daddy gave us his approval and Lena enjoyed sharing her cookies with us.  While there were a few crazy toddler moments and messes we had a great time and Lena was a fantastic little baker!

6 comments:

Pat Orr said...

Good job Lena...and mom. You guys look like you were having lot's of fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34wGLhApNA

Britney said...

Looks like so much fun!!!!

happymomof4 said...

Looks like you all both had fun and made great memories!! I love baking with my littles. What's the simple glaze you use- if you don't mind asking?

Krisa said...

I love these pictures!
This post made me remember one of the first posts I ever read of yours from a few years ago. It had pictures of your kitchen after you had baked a ton of Christmas cookies. Hilarious! !!!

Ginny said...

Those cookies look yummy, Lena! Your buddies DJ and Levi made some yesterday, too! :)

Amy said...

This looks like a lot of fun!! I don't think I'm brave enough to try baking cookies with Titus. Maybe next year!

Our journey through weight loss, infertility, embryo adoption, parenthood, world travels and everyday life adventures!

Our Most Popular Posts

La Dolce Vida (Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey 2010)

Elizabeth's Weightloss Journey

Body Fat Loss Goal

Start: 38.7% Body Fat at 207.0 lbs = 80.1 lbs of fat
Goal: 33.0% Body Fat by September 1, 2013
----------------------
Wk1: 38.5% at 204.0 = 78.54 lbs of fat (-1.56 lb)
Wk2: 37.8% at 205.5 = 77.68 lbs of fat (-.86 lb)
Wk3: 36.9% at 203.5 = 75.09 lbs of fat (-2.59 lb)
Wk4: 37.3% at 204.0= 76.09 lbs of fat (+1.00 lb)
Wk5: 37.4% at 201.5 =75.36 lbs of fat (-.73 lb)
Wk 6: 37.1% at 199.5 =74.01 lbs of fat (-1.35 lb)
Vacation
Wk 7: 36.2% at 198.0 = 71.6 lbs of fat
Wk 8: 36.7 at 196.0 = 71.9 lbs of fat
Wk 10: 35.9 at 198 = 71.0 lbs of fat
Took a break for FET#4....
Wk 11: 36.2% at 194.5 = 70.4lbs of fat
Wk 12 (September 1st):

Our Adoption Journey

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

background